Accreditation Management System for Engineering Associates (Competency Based)
This documented accreditation management system developed by Engineers Australia sets out policy, criteria and guidelines for the accreditation of competency based engineering education programs at the level of Engineering Associate. The Accreditation Management System is presented in a modular, controlled document format to provide for ease of navigation and access to pertinent information. Formal procedures for review approval and version control are in accordance with established quality management practices. This Accreditation Management System defining document is intended as a resource for engineering education providers in the processes of planning, educational design, program review and continuous quality improvement. It also is intended to provide explicit guidance for the development of submission documentation in preparation for an accreditation visit. The Accreditation Management System provides the definitive criteria, assessment and reporting framework for evaluation panels engaged in the accreditation process and for the Engineers Australia Accreditation Board in the process of decision making.
System and Context
One of the objects and purposes of The Institution of Engineers, Australia (Engineers Australia), defined by Royal Charter, is “To increase the confidence of the community in the employment of engineers by admitting to The Institution only those persons as shall have satisfied the Council of The Institution that they have an adequate knowledge of both the theory and the practice of engineering”.
In accordance with this purpose, Engineers Australia evaluates complete courses or programs (hereafter referred to as programs) leading to the award of engineering degrees and diplomas by Australian educational institutions. The key objective of this evaluation task is to accredit those programs which are adjudged as preparing their graduates adequately for entry to the profession and admission to membership of Engineers Australia in the grade of Graduate – career category – Professional Engineer, Engineering Technologist or Engineering Associate as appropriate. This documented accreditation system is concerned with the criteria and processes for evaluating engineering education programs leading to the award of engineering degrees appropriate for entry to the profession in the career category of Engineering Associates.
- Document Listing for Engineering Associate (Competency Based) (PDF 31KB)
- S01 EAComp - Overview (PDF 103KB)
- S02 EAComp - Accreditation Criteria Summary (PDF 93KB)
- S03 EAComp - Governing and Consultative Bodies, International Framework (PDF 34KB)
- S04 EAComp - Linking Accreditation with the Engineers Australia National Competency Standards (PDF 35KB)
Guidelines, Process & Resources
Procedures form part of the system for engineering program accreditation managed by the Accreditation Board of Engineers Australia. The Board's policies, procedures and guidelines are designed to ensure consistency in submissions from education providers and in the quality of the accreditation evaluation process itself.
- G01 EAComp - Accreditation System Document Preparation and Management (PDF 43KB)
- G02 EAComp - Accreditation Criteria Guidelines (PDF 137KB)
- G03 EAComp - General Review Process (PDF 111KB)
- G04 EAComp - Introducing New Programs and Program Amendment (PDF 46KB)
- G05 EAComp - Alternative Implementation Pathways (PDF 38KB)
- G06 EAComp - Preparation of Submission Documentation (PDF 128KB)
- G07 EAComp - Fields of Specialisation (PDF 24KB)
- G08 EAComp - Glossary (PDF 107KB)
- G09 EAComp - Approved External References (PDF 25KB)
This policy document is part of the system for engineering program accreditation managed by the Accreditation Board of Engineers Australia. The Board's policies, procedures and guidelines are designed to ensure consistency in the submissions of educational bodies to the Board, and in the quality of the assessment process itself.
- P01 EAComp - Accreditation Management System (PDF 43KB)
- P02 EAComp - Engineers Australia Policy on Accreditation (PDF 42KB)
- P03 EAComp - Engineers Australia Policy on the Accreditation of Programs Offered by Australian Registered Training Organisations at Offshore Locations (PDF 48KB)
- P04 EAComp - Engineers Australia Policy on the Accreditation of Programs Offered in Distance Mode (PDF 37KB)
- P05 EAComp - Engineers Australia National Generic Competency Standards - Stage 1 Competency Standard for Engineering Associate (PDF 67KB)