Migration Skills Assessment
|Download Fee schedule|
Assessment fees increase as at 1 August 2015.
Please note: To avoid extra waiting time and paying extra fees please ensure you are applying for the correct assessment type. If you are unsure please contact us.
Do you need your Migration Skills Assessment completed urgently?
On the 21st August 2015, it will be possible for you to use our Fast Track service at the point of submission of your application for your case to be allocated to an assessor within 5 business days.
If you have already lodged your application and would like to request this service, please contact our friendly Member Services team on 1300 653 113.
|Access MSA online|
Engineers Australia is proud to announce the launch of the new MSA online assessment system allowing applicants to submit an application, upload documents, pay the assessment fee, and follow the status of their application online. Outcome letters will be sent per email. Applicants will need to upload colour scanned original documents rather than having to obtain certified true copies.
Migration Agents will also have access to a number of services to manage a set of application, receive notifications and follow application status online.
Migration Agents will need to create an account with Engineers Australia, then download the following form and follow the instructions provided. Please note that your Agency account must be acknowledged (as per the instructions on the form) by Engineers Australia before you can begin an application for your client.
How to apply
To apply online for your Migration Skills Assessment, please:
- Read the Migration Skills Assessment Booklet and start collecting the necessary documentation
- Tutorial and instructions for the online system are available:
- Create your account with Engineers Australia
- Log into myPortal
- Use the Menu on the top right side of the page and follow the link to “Migration Skills Assessment”
- Start your Migration Skills Assessment and upload your documents
1. Paper Based applications
2. Accredited Qualifications
To be eligible for an assessment under the accredited qualifications pathways, you must hold a fully accredited qualification.
For the accredited Australian Engineering Qualifications, please refer to the lists of Australian accredited qualifications available on our website.
For overseas qualifications, you will need to determine if the country of origin of your qualification is a full signatory of the Washington, Sydney or Dublin accord, and refer to the list of accredited courses provided by the relevant signatory body. The full list of signatory organisations is available on the website of the International Engineering Alliance.
Holders of non-accredited qualifications will need to submit a competency demonstration report.
3. Assessment services associated with DIBP's points test
a. Standard Assessment Service
- the standard assessment outcome will include an opinion on the comparable relevant Australian level qualification to the client's overseas qualification used in support of the assessed outcome.
b. Additional Assessment Services (Check appropriate box and fee payment on relevant application form)
- where an overseas PhD engineering degree is held, which may not necessarily need to be considered in the assessment process to provide the nominated outcome, then an additional assessing service is available to provide an opinion on the qualification as comparable to an Australian PhD.
- for those who have at least 1 year Australian work experience, and / or at least 3 years Overseas work experience in their nominated occupation or a closely-related occupation, then an additional assessing service is available to provide an opinion on the skilled employment claims. High-level evidence will be required to support any claim of work experience as well as completion of this form.
See Section D of the MSA Booklet for details.
Clients who already hold an assessment outcome- and have NOT yet applied to DIBP may seek the additional services as above. However, please note the following:
If the initial assessment was through a paper based application:
In these cases, you will need to seek an updated assessment outcome by returning the ORIGINAL outcome letter, completing the relevant part(s) of the Admin Fee payment form, making the additional fee payment, and including the necessary supporting documentation. Note that all the follow ups to your updated outcome letter will be paper based and your new updated letter will be posted to you.
- If the initial assessment was through online submission:
Please contact us via MemberServices@engineersaustralia.org.au regarding your individual case.
4. Work Experience
The following conditions for the assessment of Work Experience as an additional service are to be noted:
- work experience must be relevant to the assessed outcome, in terms of occupation and engineering category
- work experience cannot be claimed before completion of the applicable qualification
- work experience should be paid at the market or salaried rate for engineering professionals. Clients receiving stipends, living allowances or scholarships will not generally be considered to be salaried
- whilst 'full-time' work constitutes 20 hours per week or more, this must be regular employment and not include long periods of unpaid leave
- in general, research activities undertaken as a PhD student, or work experience as a Research Assistant/Fellow whilst undertaking a PhD can not usually be assessed as relevant for this purpose
- the employment evidence as listed in MSA Booklet is crucial to the acceptance of any claimed work experience
Skilled Migration to Australia
Engineers Australia is the designated authority to assess professional qualifications in engineering for the purposes of skilled migration to Australia. If you want to migrate to Australia and require an engineering skills assessment, please do the following:
1. Read the Migration Skills Assessment Booklet
2. Prepare and submit your application.
Information on this page does not apply if:
- You are an Australian permanent resident or citizen (visit Stage 1 Competency Assessment)
- You have engineering technician or trade qualifications (visit the Skilled Occupation Listing SOL to find your assessing authority)
Current assessment turnaround time
Regularly updated advice on the dates of applications under current process may be sought by sending a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the sole word 'Status' in the email subject line. You will receive an automatic response.
- Non-accredited qualifications – turnaround is currently about 9 weeks from the date of receipt. Note this time can be highly variable depending on numbers of incoming applications
- Accredited Australian and Accord qualifications – currently about 5 weeks.
Please do NOT contact Engineers Australia within these timeframes, as it will further delay processing times for all applications.
Under SkillSelect, DIBP specify that an assessment outcome (and IELTS test result) be obtained PRIOR to lodging your Expression of Interest (EoI), but mandate that any assessment letter MUST predate the date of any formal invitation extended. In the event that an applicant does NOT hold an assessment letter at the time of EoI lodgment, then any claim for urgent assessment to meet an anticipated invitation will NOT be entertained.
I have non-recognised qualifications
The Summary Statement tables below will assist you in preparing your CDR. Choose the one relevant to your occupational category and complete it after you have written your three Career Episodes. Then print your Summary Statement and include it with your application.
- Summary Statement of Professional Engineer
- Summary Statement of Engineering Technologist
- Summary Statement of Engineering Associate
- Summary Statement of Engineering Manager
- Refer to Section A and C of the MSA Booklet
- Application for Assessment of Australian Engineering Qualifications
- Application for Assessment of Professional Engineering Qualifications (Washington Accord)
- Application for Assessment of Engineering Technologist Qualifications (Sydney Accord)
- Application for Assessment of Engineering Associate Qualifications (Dublin Accord)
- Refer to Section A and B of the MSA Booklet
I need an Opinion on my Skilled Employment
- Refer to Section D of the MSA Booklet
Learn More about
Assessment Outcome Letter Verification
All assessment letters issues electronically can be verified by using our Outcome Verification Service.