Australia’s Top 100 Engineers 2014 announced
Engineers Australia magazine’s 2014 list of Australia’s Top 100 Most Influential Engineers has been announced and is available online at http://bit.ly/1mc6Myx, and published in the June edition of the magazine.
The list highlights the influence of outstanding engineers in all spheres of society. There are several categories, in particular: Academia/Research; Associations; Community; Contractors/Services; Consulting; Industry; Innovation/Expertise; Manufacturing; Politics; Public Service and Utilities.
Influence is the prime criterion for selection to the list, and this influence may be exercised in any field of endeavour. For example, this year notable playwright, David Williamson, a mechanical engineer, has been included.
Other newcomers to this year’s list include:
- Leighton Contractors managing director Craig Laslett
- Laing O’Rourke Australia managing director Cathal O’Rourke
- Thiess managing director Bruce Munro
- Lend Lease CEO Construction and Infrastructure Australasia David Saxelby
- Rio Tinto Chief Executive Iron Ore Andrew Harding
- 2014 Clunies Ross award winner, University of Newcastle Prof Kevin Galvin
- Boeing Australia & Pacific president Maureen Dougherty
- Networks NSW (Ausgrid/Endeavour Energy, Essential Energy) CEO Vince Graham
Some statistics of the list are (see link for more):
- 11% of the Top 100 were women
- 75% of the Top 100 were members of Engineers Australia
- 79% graduated in Australia
- NSW is the place of work for 43% of the Top 100, and 39% of the entire listing graduated from NSW universities (UNSW 18%, Sydney 9%, Wollongong 6%, Newcastle 4%, UTS 2%).
- Victoria is the location for 14% of the Top 100 and 14% of the entire listing graduated there (Monash 7%, Melbourne 4%, Deakin 2%, Swinburne 1%).
- WA accounted for 12% of the Top 100 and 8% of the entire listing’s graduates (UWA 7%, Curtin 1%).
- Queensland hosts 11% of the Top 100 and 11% of the total list graduated there (UQ 7%, USQ 2%, QUT 2%).
- Of the top 100, 7% are based in South Australia, 5% are based in the ACT and 8% are based overseas.
Further information on selection criteria is available at: www.engineersmedia.com.au/top100
For further information please contact Engineers Media.
Photo: Acknoweldgement to Ian Barnes, Engineers Media