Engineers Australia has developed an accreditation management system that includes the policies, criteria and guidelines for the accreditation of engineering education programs at the level of professional engineer.
This document is intended as a resource for engineering education providers in the processes of planning, educational design, program review and continuous quality improvement. It also is intended to provide explicit guidance for the development of submission documentation in preparation for an accreditation visit.
The accreditation management system provides the definitive criteria, assessment and reporting framework for evaluation panels engaged in the accreditation process and for the Engineers Australia Accreditation Board in the process of decision making.
Accreditation system and context
One objective defined by the Engineers Australia Royal Charter is 'To increase the confidence of the community in the employment of engineers by admitting to The Institution only those persons as shall have satisfied the Council of The Institution that they have an adequate knowledge of both the theory and the practice of engineering'.
In accordance with this purpose, Engineers Australia evaluates complete courses or programs leading to the award of engineering degrees and diplomas by Australian educational institutions.
This documented accreditation system defines the criteria and processes for the evaluation of tertiary engineering programs leading to awards at the level of Professional Engineer.
- Overview (PDF 99kb)
- S02 Accreditation Criteria Summary (PDF 63kb)
- S03 Governing and Consultative Bodies, International Framework (PDF 38kb)
- S04 Linking Accreditation with the Engineers Australia National Competency Standards (PDF 30kb)
The Accreditation Board's policies, procedures and guidelines are designed to ensure consistency in submissions from education providers and in the quality of the accreditation evaluation process itself. This procedure describes the preparation, control, storage and dissemination of controlled documents which are part of the accreditation system.
- G01 Accreditation System Document Preparation and Management (PDF 34kb)
- G02 Accreditation Criteria and Guidelines (PDF 157kb)
- G03 General review process (PDF 119kb)
- G04 Introducing new programs and program amendments (PDF 37kb)
- G05 Alternative implementation pathways (PDF 35kb)
- G06 Preparation of submission documentation (PDF 132kb)
- G07 Fields of specialisation (PDF 26kb)
- G08 Glossary (PDF 70kb)
- G09 Approved external references (PDF 19kb)
Policy is part of the system for engineering program accreditation managed by the Accreditation Board of Engineers Australia. The Accreditation Board's policies, procedures and guidelines are designed to ensure consistency in the submissions of educational bodies to the Accreditation Board, and in the quality of the assessment process itself.
- P01 Accreditation management system (PDF 39kb)
- P02 Engineers Australia Policy on Accreditation of Professional Engineering Programs (PDF 36kb)
- P03 Engineers Australia Policy on the Accreditation of Offshore Programs (PDF 39kb)
- P04 Engineers Australia Policy on Accreditation of Programs Offered in Distance Mode (PDF 36kb)
- P05 Engineers Australia National Generic Competency Standard (PDF 73kb)