Benefits for Members
YEA groups Australia-wide provide a range of programs and services that enhance the value of membership for young engineers.
- Professional and personal development presentations, workshops and seminars.
- Generational exchange activities (senior professionals networking with young engineers).
- Joint technical presentations with groups within Engineers Australia and other professional associations.
- Networking and social events.
- Regional events/ programs.
- Young Engineers Australia National Summit - YEA's major event, providing young engineers with unique professional development and networking opportunities.
- Opportunities for young engineers to have a voice in their professional association.
- Opportunity to benefit from the YEA connections with other young professional groups in Australia and overseas.
History of YEA
Young Engineers Australia had its beginnings in 1987 under the leadership of Murray Purkiss. A national network of young members within Engineers Australia was set up with the aim of increasing student and graduate involvement in the organisation's activities.
A task force on Young Engineers was convened in late 1987 and concluded that Engineers Australia's membership was aging and that immediate and ongoing efforts were needed to recruit more young members.
To coordinate this recruitment and to ensure the provision of better, more relevant Engineers Australia services to young members all over Australia, the National Young Engineers Australia Standing Committee was established. Its first meeting was in February 1988 at the Bicentennial Engineering Conference in Sydney.
Today, young engineers represent over 50% of Engineers Australia's membership. YEA has developed its own strategy in line with that of Engineers Australia's to meet the growing needs of these members.
With new programs, the continuation of successful initiatives from "2005: The Year of the Young Engineer" and relationships rapidly developing with other associations both locally and overseas, YEA is really showing its commitment to enhancing the value of membership for young engineers.
Young Engineers Australia National Committee 2021
Your representatives on the National Committee for this year are:
- Robert Hoffman MIEAust CPEng NER - Chair Email
- Nicole Brown GradIEAust - Deputy Chair
- Jordan Butler MIEAust – Immediate Past Chair
- Samantha Chapman StudIEAust - TAS
- Adele Faraone GradIEAust - NT
- Dom Everall MIEAust (DE) - WA
- Steve Adamthwaite GradIEAust - NCS
- Tino Baya GradIEAust - SA
- Jessica Kennedy GradIEAust (JK) - ACT
- Robbie Goedecke MIEAust CPEng - NSW
- Phil Breguet GradIEAust (PB) - VIC
- Waseqa Hasan GradIEAust (WH) - QLD