The Seminar forms part of the continuing program of technical events organised by the SA-NT Chapter of the AGS and is designed to keep the engineering profession aware of current practice and recent developments in aspects of the design and construction of earthworks and pavements on expansive clays and the challenges and opportunities involved.
Who should attend and why?
The goal of the Seminar is to bring together professional engineers, researchers, specialist contractors, regulators, educators and students to meet, share and discuss their experiences on the topic of the design and construction of earthworks and pavements on expansive clay and associated challenges and opportunities.
The 2018 Seminar will be a full day event and will present state-of-the-art practices, innovative technologies with a particular emphasis on the geotechnical challenges affecting the Adelaide area.
The Seminar will cover the following topics:
– Understanding unsaturated soil behaviour in relation to earthworks and pavement design
– Implementation of AS 2870 for earthworks design in Adelaide, suggested improvements and alternative approaches
– Earthworks and pavement design for expansive clay
– Subgrade treatment methods and movement mitigation measures including for example: excavation and replacement; lime stabilisation/ modification; and use of geosynthetics
– Design and construction of airport pavements and rail track on expansive clay
– Case studies
– Pavement instrumentation and monitoring
The Seminar will also include a Workshop session to review and discuss the prescribed approach to the calculation of seasonal or long term movements in accordance with AS 2870 as detailed in the South Australia Department of Planning and Infrastructure’s (DPTI’s) Design Standard EW100: Earthworks for Roads. The aim of the Workshop is to provide a forum to obtain the views of practicing geotechnical and pavement engineers on the advantages and disadvantages of the current approach. It is anticipated that the forum will enable potential enhancements to be identified. This is an opportunity for you to help shape an enhanced Design Standard EW100.
To register: Please download and complete the attached registration form to secure your place at this course and return to [email protected]
- AGS Member Rate: $250.00 ($ excl. GST)
- Non Member Rate: $400.00 ($ excl. GST)
- Student Member Rate: $100.00 ($ excl. GST)