Technical presentation on legal aspects relating to risk of liability of Engineers working in the construction industry.
Understandably, parties will focus heavily on their contracts when assessing the risk of liability. However, outside of any contract, there lies the risk of being found liable in negligence to parties with whom you have no contract at all. This is a particular risk for engineers who courts have historically treated differently to some of the other participants in a project.
Some recent decisions provide some real guidance as to the criteria the court will consider when reviewing a negligence claim in the context of work done on construction and infrastructure projects.
In this session, we will examine:
• a number of recent court decisions that consider claims of negligence made against engineers, builders and consultants;
• the different way the court treats a negligence claim depending on who makes the claim and which participant in the project the claim is made against; and
• how historically the courts have specifically treated negligence claims against Engineers.
Most importantly however, we will draw lessons from the court decisions to provide some practical tips on how to best protect yourself from negligence claims in the future.
THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
- EA Member Rate: $0.00 ($0.00 excl. GST)
- Society Member Rate: $30.00 ($27.27 excl. GST)
- EA Student Member Rate: $0.00 ($0.00 excl. GST)
- Non-Member Rate: $30.00 ($27.27 excl. GST)
Engineers Australia Member Services
1300 653 113