The coastline is one of NSW’s most valuable assets. It is home to much of the states’ population, and it is essential to many industries. It provides vital ecological habitat both on land and underwater, and it is central to much of our Aboriginal, historical and modern culture.
As such, the NSW coast is a highly contested region, and coastal management is a major challenge to custodians.
This year, the NSW Government established a new framework for coastal management which will drive new approaches to the way we meet the challenges, changes and uncertainty for our coastal communities.
This event will provide councils and practitioners the information they need to embark on a new era of coastal management. It will provide a forum for key government agencies to outline processes to achieve the objects of the Coastal Management Act (2016). Speakers will detail:
• Coastal Management Act 2016 (CM Act)
• State Environmental Planning Policy (Coastal Management) 2018
• NSW Coastal Management Manual
• Coastal Management Areas and Mapping
• Coastal Management Programs (CMPs)
• NSW Coastal Council
• Coastal and Estuary Grants Program
• Engagement with Agencies and Communities
• Transitional arrangements
We will also hear from early adopters - those councils and practitioners who are currently dealing with the on-ground challenges of meeting the new legislation and developing coastal management programs.
A panel session will allow attendees to provide feedback and question key agencies on the reforms.
This is an unmissable event for anyone working in coastal NSW.
Ben Modra (COPEP Chair)
- EA & PIANC Member: $120.00 ($109.09 excl. GST)
- Students: $40.00 ($36.36 excl. GST)
- Non-Member: $150.00 ($136.36 excl. GST)
Engineers Australia Member Services
1300 653 113