Engineers Australia Newcastle Division, in association with Strand7 is holding a hands-on Strand7 workshop as detailed below. Two technical staff from Strand7 will conduct the session & will be ably assisted by two of our civil group members, namely: Mr Greg Wright and Mr Ron Banerjee.
Topics to be covered include:
• Introduction to Strand7 R3
A brief overview of Strand7 R3 will be given together with a short summary of the main differences between R2 and R3.
• Modelling Exercise: Simulating footfall time history on a footbridge
A new feature in Strand7 R3 is its ability to apply a time history table to moving loads, thereby easily being able to model loads that vary in both space and time. A modelling exercise (simulating a person walking, jogging or running across a footbridge) will be presented to demonstrate this new Strand7 feature.
• Staged and construction sequence analysis in Strand7
Strand7 offers a very flexible and easy to set up tool for simulating element addition and removal (e.g. constructing a bridge, excavating a tunnel). This will be a short overview of the Strand7's capabilities in this area together with instruction on how to use the module.
• Modelling Exercise: Staged Analysis of a Caisson Excavation
A modelling exercise has been selected wherein the attendees will progressively excavate a section of soil and install a steel caisson. The model will illustrate Strand7’s ability to incrementally record the cumulative stress history.
• Modelling Exercise: rebar in brick models using incompatible meshes
A useful feature in Strand7 R3 is its ability to model discrete reinforcement in a brick model even without node-to-node compatibility between concrete and steel. The model will include 3D attachment links that automatically apply the correct constraint relationship between the elements.
• Modelling Exercise: Troubleshooting and repairing an FEA mesh
Strand7 often run troubleshooting exercises in their courses as the topic always attracts a high level of interest and involvement from the participants. The exercise involves opening a Strand7 model that contains several errors and trying to find them all. In the process, we will discuss good FEA modelling practice and the important topic of FEA model QA.
• Modelling Exercise: Buckling analyses that consider constant and variable load cases.
In most cases, a linear buckling analysis considers a set of loads or load combination, and the load factor on that entire combination to produce buckling is calculated. However, if the load contains gravity, for example, and assuming the structure does not buckle under gravity load, what we really need to do is to calculate how much of the live load is required to cause buckling (i.e. not factoring up gravity). In Strand7 R3 this can be performed automatically because the linear buckling solver offers the option of considering two types of load: constant load cases and variable load cases.
Optional Topics: (depending on participant interest and/or time availability)
The below additional modelling exercises may also be worked through during the workshop if the workshop participants complete the above hands on exercises early.
1. Static and Dynamic Pushover Analysis
This is a classical pushover analysis, but one that uses the nonlinear material beam element in Strand7. The advantage of this element is that you do not need to calculate moment-curvature tables - all that's required is the definition of the stress-strain table and the section geometry. This exercise runs through a nonlinear static analysis followed by a nonlinear transient dynamic analysis applying a time-history of base excitation (from a typical earthquake accelerogram) to produce the time history response and hysteresis curve.
2. Glass Façade Blast Loading
A couple of members that attended last year’s Strand7 workshop, asked the presenters about Strand7’s ability to model dynamic problems. Accordingly, should time permit, a blast simulation model will be presented.
• You will need to have familiarity with basic Strand7 modelling.
• You have to bring your own lap top – fully charged.
• Your laptop needs to be compatible with DirectX 11.1 or above.
• Operating System: Windows 7 or above.
• Strand7 will provide a USB with a limited life.exe file for the session.
• Wi Fi is available at the venue
NUMBERS ARE STRICTLY LIMITED SO REGISTER EARLY TO SECURE YOUR POSITION !
- Member Rate: $55.00 ($50.00 excl. GST)
- Society Member Rate: $85.00 ($77.27 excl. GST)
- Student Member Rate: $55.00 ($50.00 excl. GST)
- Non-Member Rate: $85.00 ($77.27 excl. GST)
Engineers Australia Member Services
1300 653 113