In recent months Engineers Australia has been investing in new online professional development opportunities and platforms that are available from any device, whenever and wherever you want - and there's more coming soon!
Our national CPD program has moved to online and will continue to deliver a broad range of technical seminars to suit all engineering disciplines and career stages. Members can receive a weekly digest of these activities through our CPD Online newsletter.
We have also launched the following new digital resources:
- EA On Demand: an online streaming platform that hosts a variety of videos, including webinars and conferences, to allow members to earn CPD in their own time. The videos can be streamed on any device, and users can build their own playlists to ensure content meets their professional needs. This platform will continue to evolve.
- National Online CPD: a series of live-stream webinars covering a breadth of innovative views, latest trends and technical information.
- Live Chat: visit our website to instantly chat with staff regarding member queries.
- Engineering Trends: an exclusive library of the latest in conference papers and journals. Complimentary ‘Gold Open Access’ papers from the World Engineers Convention are currently available to download, and we’ll regularly update this page with cutting-edge engineering research and development.
- Engineering Heroes: Our podcast series introduces you to over 100 engineers! Join us each Friday for a new conversation on the ingenuity, innovation, and contribution from engineers across all areas of society. All podcasts are freely available on all podcasting apps; to introduce us to an engineer for consideration, please contact us.
- COVID resources centre: As federal and state government guidelines rapidly change, we are keeping a list of updates and resources to help members and their businesses in one location.
- EA Junior Club: EA Junior Club provides activities and resources primary school teachers who want to help build the skills that are relevant to engineering – with resources for parents coming soon.
- The Engineers Australia Jobs Board, previously available to student and graduate members, has been expanded to include all levels of engineering roles for engineers of all grades and career stages for a limited time.
We are committed to supporting engineering students and graduates, and have launched several new programs:
- Mentor Match: Mentor Match is a new online matching program targeted specifically at graduate members and early career engineers, providing them with access to senior engineers to gain career guidance, connection and advice – no matter where they are located.
- Virtual Elevation: Virtual Elevation, an exclusive virtual career connection event, took place last week for final year engineering students and soon to be graduate engineers. Attendees learnt what it’s like to work for some of the best engineering employers in the country and potentially secure their perfect first role!
- Bite Sized Learning: Bite Sized Learning has been designed to provide graduate members with additional learning opportunities to keep them a step ahead as they build their career. A collaboration between Engineers Australia and Engineering Education Australia, Bite Sized Learning features modules that combine video, informative case studies, and interactive engaging activities to provide short and sharp targeted learning moments.
As well as our new programs and content, all members can still access our existing resources:
- Engineering Education Australia: Engineering Education Australia courses are available online, count towards CPD and are designed specifically for engineers and related professionals.
- EngInsure: Engineering Education Australia courses are available online, count towards CPD and are designed specifically for engineers and related professionals.
- EA Books: Members can access Engineers Australia technical journals, as well as past issues of create, at EA Books.
- EA Xchange: EA Xchange is a member-only forum where members can chat online with like-minded engineers from our community. Members can share resources, bounce ideas for feedback or connect with other engineers on a specific area of interest.
Behind the scenes, we are continuing to advocate for the engineering profession, with key advocacy activities including:
- Engineers Australia is working with government and stakeholders to ensure that the critical role of engineers in Australia’s response to COVID-19 is recognised. The recently developed COVID-19 Recovery: A 9-Point Plan report sets out key criteria for success.
- New requirements for professional engineers to be registered to practise passed Parliament in NSW in June 2020, and Victoria in 2019. Detailed regulations will be created before those two laws commence on 1 July 2021, and members will be invited to participate in those processes. National advocacy continues, with current efforts extending to WA and the ACT.
- Earlier in the year, Engineers Australia CEO Bronwyn Evans held an industry round table with leading industry groups and organisations to discuss the engineering response to climate change. The findings are summarised in this report.
As you can see, we’re working hard to continue to drive results for our members and advance the science and practice of engineering. For more information on our services, please contact Member Services on 1300 653 113 or [email protected].