In February Engineers Australia hosted our first Western Australian Volunteer Collaboration Forum. With over 220 committed and passionate volunteer office bearers this was an opportunity for us to come together and discuss how we can continue to add value to WA members.
The role of an Office Bearer has three components:
- Support Engineers Australia in being the voice of the profession
- Communicating Engineers Australia’s value proposition
- Supporting quality continuous professional development (CPD) opportunities for all members.
We are very fortunate to have so many members contribute to our purpose of advancing the science and practice of engineering for the benefit of the community. Currently there are over 30 panels, societies and committees supporting the rest of our over 13,000 members.
These committees include:
Asset Management Council
Oil and Gas Group
Australian Cost Engineering Society
Australian Geomechanics Society
Australian Tunnelling Society
Risk Engineering Society
Biomedical Engineering Panel
Society of Bulk Solids Handling
Coastal, Oceans and Ports Panel
Society of Fire Safety
Electrical College Branch
Electrical Energy Society of Australia
Sustainable Engineering Society
Hydrology and Water Panel
Transport Australia Society
Institute of Industrial Engineers
WA Construction Panel
Mining and Minerals Processing
Whether you find value in your member through:
- attending CPD sessions to develop your technical knowledge;
- staying networked and connected with your engineering colleges and the profession; or
- having the recognition that comes from being a member or chartered member,
you will find an Engineers Australia volunteer has contributed positively to your experience.
A number of examples are:
- Engineering Heritage Group designed, developed and put together a Heritage Walking Tour complete with an interactive map for mobile devicese.
- The Structures Branch in WA organised a subject matter expert from Canada to come to Perth to run a 1 day workshop on reinforcement. .
- Sustainable Engineering Society committee member David Rice recently delivered the same presentation he delivered at the World Engineers Convention in Melbourne to WA members which was recorded for others to be able to access the content..
- Young Engineers and the College of Leadership and Management hosted mentoring breakfasts bringing together younger engineers with more experienced engineers to assist intergenerational networking.
- The Electrical Energy Society of Australia WA branch hosts a Poster Paper Competition for students with their most recent winner being offered a position of employment due to the high caliber of the poster submitted.
- Oil and Gas Group run a joint mentoring program for engineers in subsea and hosted the Engineers Australia knowledge forum workshop on safety at the Australasian Oil and Gas Conference.
- Coastal, Oceans and Ports Panel are hosting an industry briefing session for members on Westport.
- Hydrology and Water have worked with Engineering Education Australia to bring a day training course to the WA community.
We invite you to contact us with any feedback or to discuss ways to become more involved in our Engineers Australia community.
Member Engagement Manager (WA) Michael Bell
Reach out: [email protected]