Civil engineering is a major contributor to the success of the modern world and to the quality of life of humans. The practice of civil engineering solves problems and develops important infrastructure using mathematics and scientific principles.
Civil engineers work in a wide range of industries to plan, design and construct many facets of the built environment. Their work is present in land developments, buildings, roads, bridges, drainage systems, pipelines, towers, coastal installations, harbours, airports and railways.
They’re also responsible for protecting and restoring the natural environment including playing an important role in bringing about a more sustainable future.
The Civil College represents members working in civil engineering roles around Australia. Some of our key functions are to:
- Set discipline standards for professional engineers, technologists and associates.
- Guide the content of civil engineering undergraduate courses.
- Enter into mutual recognition agreements with kindred bodies.
- Conduct research and development.
- Explore discipline related initiatives and provide guidance on continuing professional development (CPD) policy.
- Facilitate technical conferences, meetings and events.
- Publish learned papers and other resources.
The Civil College is run by a board of elected representatives. Current Board members are:
- Chris Nielsen FIEAust CPEng EngExec NER – Chair
- Tammy Chu FIEAust CPEng EngExec NER
- Paul Collier FIEAust CPEng EngExec NER
- Giovanni Gentile FIEAust CPEng NER
- Emily Harris MIEAust CPEng NER
- John Hilton FIEAust CPEng EngExec NER
- Martin Scerri FIEAust CPEng NER
- Morteza Ghamgosar MIEAust CPEng NER – Corresponding Member
- Toby Horstead FIEAust CPEng EngExec NER – Corresponding Member
- Michael Leonard MIEAust – Corresponding Member
- Andrew Pomeroy MIEAust CPEng NER – Corresponding Member
- Shalendra Ram FIEAust CPEng EngExec NER – Corresponding Member
- Chris Sfetkidis FIEAust CPEng NER – Corresponding Member
- Tim Thompson MIEAust CPEng NER – Corresponding Member
- Roy Unny MIEAust CPEng NER – Corresponding Member
Some members working as civil engineers also serve across various technical societies.
We have branches in every state and territory in Australia that deliver CPD to Engineers Australia members and guests with online and in-person training and events.
Visit our Learning and events page to see a full list of available CPD opportunities
- National Committee on Coastal & Ocean Engineering
- National Committee on Water Engineering
- Transport Australia Society
- The Asian Civil Engineering Coordinating Council
- Australian Geomechanics Society
- Australasian Tunnelling Society
- Institute of Public Works Engineering Australia
- Railway Technical Society of Australasia
- Asset Management Council