Standards Australia is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the establishment and acceptance of standards that ensure the safety and consistency of Australian goods, products and services. The organisation is Australia's peak non-government body committed to standards, efficacy and sustainability and promotes an Australian presence in international standards. Visit Standards Australia’s website to learn more about the organisation and how it develops standards.
Volunteering for Standards Australia
Engineers Australia encourages our members to participate in the work of Standards Australia’s standards development committees by volunteering as a nominee. There are many benefits to volunteering as an Engineers Australia nominee for Standards Australia. When you volunteer you’ll:
- have the opportunity to expand your professional network
- contribute to the development and review of standards using your specialised expertise
- be able to claim continuing professional development hours for your work under Type V (Service to the Engineering Profession)
- expand upon and increase your knowledge, skills and experience.
If you’d like to become an Engineers Australia nominee on a Standards Australia committee, complete the expression of interest form and submit it with a current copy of your CV.
Below is a list of current committees seeking expressions of interest (EOIs), be sure to indicate your area of interest and experience and specify the committee you’re interested in.
You can also view the list of current active (PDF 140.27KB) Standards Australia committees that we have nominees on.
Current Standards Australia committees seeking expressions of interest (EOIs) are:
- BD-006 General Design Requirements and Loading on Structures (for information only)
- BD-038 Wet Areas in Buildings
- BD-059 Demolition of Structures
- CE-009 Testing of Soils for Engineering Purposes
- CE-024 Measurement of water Flow in Open Channels and Closed Conduits
- CE-032 Earth Retaining Structures (For Information Only)
- CE-032 Earth Retaining Structures
- CS-034 Swimming and Pool Spas
- EL-025 Control of Undesirable Static Charges
- EL-026 Protective Enclosures and Environmental Testing for Electrical/Electronic Equipment
- FP-023 Tunnel Fire Safety
- IT-032 Biometrics and Identification
- IT-269 Smart Cities System
- ME-060 Controlled Environment
- ME-084 Cargo Restraint Systems for Occupant Protection in Light Vehicles
- MN-005 Copper, Lead, Zinc and Nickel Ores and Concentrates Committee
- MT-002 Copper and Copper Alloys
- PL-046 Rotationally Moulded Storage Tanks
- TM-012 Timber Grading and Preservation
- WS-026 Valves primarily for use in Warm and Hot Water Systems
- WS-042 Passive Grease Traps
Standards open for comment
An important stage in the development of a standard is the public comment period. All contributions are considered in detail by the relevant committee, and if necessary further drafting is undertaken. We encourage our members to use this opportunity to provide their view on its provisions. To participate you'll need to create an account with Standards Australia.
Learn more about volunteering for Engineers Australia.