*** THIS EVENT IS FULLY BOOKED ***
In June 2018, the revised Australian Standard AS 3600 (Concrete Structures) was released. An amendment was made to the Standard in 2018 to pick up some issues which were not properly covered in the original version. In May 2019 AS 3600-2018 (including any amendments) will be called up in the NCC.
This presentation outlines the changes in the revised Standard AS 3600-2018 which include:
- A very brief history of concrete codes and standards in Australia
- A background to the upgrade of AS 3600-2018
- Increase of reinforcement grade to Grade 600 and Phi factors amended
- Modification of models and calculations for shrinkage; creep; deflections;
- Shear and torsion in beams and slabs completely revised
- Crack control & Fire design requirements amendments
- Structural integrity reinforcement added
- Durability requirements upgraded
- Section 11 simplified method of design forces significantly amended and curtailed to globalise structures
- Section 14 added: Design for Earthquakes Actions (formerly Appendix C). This involved a complete rewrite and updated against specific requirements
- Section 15 is a completely new section on diaphragms
- Section 16 is a completely new section on Steel Fibre Reinforced Concrete
- Section 18 is a completely new section on Design for Fatigue
Meet the Speaker: John Woodside
John has over 50 years’ experience in the building industry in Australia and overseas, having worked in Melbourne with Milton Johnson and Partners, London with Taylor Woodrow, in Adelaide with John Connell and Associates/ Connell Wagner / Aurecon before becoming the principal at his own practice, J Woodside, in 2001.
John was on the code committee BD/2 for AS3600 from 1986 until 1998 and is still on subcommittees associated with the standard.
John was elected an Honorary Member of the Concrete Institute of Australia (CIA) in 2005 for his services to concrete and awarded the Lewis Kent Award in 2011 by the Institution of Structural Engineers for his outstanding contribution to structural engineering in Australia. In 2006, he was awarded the John Connell Gold Medal by EA for his outstanding contribution to structural engineering and eminence in consulting engineering in Australia and overseas, as a Principal of Connell Wagner.
- Member Rate: $0.00 ($0.00 excl. GST)
- Student Member Rate: $0.00 ($0.00 excl. GST)
- Non-Member Rate: $30.00 ($27.27 excl. GST)
Engineers Australia Member Services
1300 653 113