This presentation combines multiple decades of combined expertise in structural and geotechnical engineering to provide attendees with a solid background in the requirements of ground retention design and construction.
The presentation will use case studies to highlight what happens when inadequate retention occurs versus what can be achieved with a suitable design process. The presentation will also refer to the review of standard AS4678 (Earth Retaining Structures).
A highlight of areas covered in the presentation is:
- Site investigation requirements for retaining structures
- Temporary works required to facilitate installation of the retaining structure; or temporary retaining structures such as permeation grout blocks
- Ground movements during installation of the retaining structure (e.g. prior to any bulk excavation)
- Impact of ground movements on adjacent infrastructure
- Monitoring requirements
- Retention and construction systems for high-rise buildings (in wet and dry soils)
About the speakers:
Dr Doug Stewart:
Doug Stewart is a Principal Geotechnical Engineer and Principal of Golder, based in Perth, Western Australia and with over 30 years’ experience. He has worked on a large number of projects incorporating retaining structures of various types, including gravity and reinforced soil structures, high-rise buildings with multi-level basements, bridges, tunnels and underground structures for transport and resource infrastructure. His experience includes many structures within the Perth CBD and metropolitan area as well as in the Pilbara.
Mr Peter Airey:
Peter Airey has been a Fellow of Engineers Australia for over 45 years, and an Honorary Fellow since 2018. He is founder and Managing Director of renowned firm Airey Taylor Consulting that has completed over 17,000 Structural, Civil and Scientific commissions in Western Australia since 1971, contributing to over 40 Award Winning projects in the last two decades alone. In 2018 he founded Structural Engineering firm Advanced Substructures Limited to bring his cutting edge design knowledge to the national construction industry. He is presently providing input to the Standards Australia review of AS4678 (Earth Retaining Structures) as consultant for the Embedded Retaining Walls working group.
Registration opens: 5:30 PM
Presentation start: 6:00 PM
Presentation completion: 7:00 PM
Event finishes (after any networking time): 7:30 PM
- EA and AGS Member Rate: $0.00 ($0.00 excl. GST)
- Other Society Member Rate: $30.00 ($27.27 excl. GST)
- Student Member Rate: $0.00 ($0.00 excl. GST)
- Non-Member Rate: $30.00 ($27.27 excl. GST)
Engineers Australia WA
08 6214 6319