An Engineering Education Australia Virtual Workshop:
Engineers excel at processing information, evidence and data to solve complex problems. This unique skill set makes you an asset on a board or committee. Despite these clear benefits, less than three per cent of corporate directors in Australia are from a STEM background.
There are different types of boards and positions for each stage of your career. But applying for boards demands a different approach to applying for a job — even at a senior level.
This practical course is taught by an engineer who's made the shift. You'll learn:
- how boards and committees are structured and the types of roles you could apply for
- what's involved as a board member and how to assess your skills against the role
- how to prepare and lodge a winning application.
This course begins with learning the structure and functions of boards. You'll then build your understanding of boards, why engineers make valuable members, and how your skills fit in.
Finish with practical information on where to find vacancies and the application process.
After completing the course, you'll know how to find the right board role, and have the ability and confidence to apply for it.
Who should attend?
This course suits engineers of all disciplines, particularly if you're looking to take on a board role.
It's valuable for professionals in the engineering industry, including:
- senior managers
- program and project managers
- team leaders.
This course covers a range of topics over four weeks. The modules include:
1. Board Fundamentals
- Overview of Boards
- Director responsibilities
- Stacey’s story as a board and committee member
- The importance of engineers on boards
- The future of boards
2. Value Proposition
- Eligibility and conflicts of interest
- Skills needed for board work
- Attributes and experience
- Personal summary
3. Pathways & Positions
- Pathways to the boardroom
- Types of positions and finding them
- Determining if roles are suitable
- Application processes
- Prepare Board CV and Cover Letter
- Selection criteria and forms
- Interviews and next steps
About the speaker
Stacey Daniel FIEAust CPEng NER
For more than 25 years, Stacey has worked across the corporate and community sectors with multinational companies, government departments, private business and community groups.
She's an influential non-executive director, founder of Board Presence and author of Fly to the Boardroom: Your Essential Guide to Getting on a Board.
Her experience is bolstered with a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons), Diploma of Business and Company Directors Course Diploma.
Engineering Education Australia's Virtual Workshops
A Virtual Workshop is a structured live online classroom-style delivery method for training and professional development. For the optimal online learning experience, Virtual Workshops are interactive and use tools such as break-out rooms for discussions, activities based on practical case studies, and two-way communication.
Key speakerStacey Daniel FIEAust CPEng NER
Host(s)Engineering Education Australia
Registration close29 May 2023