There are many exclusive benefits that come with an Engineers Australia membership.
Companion or Affiliate membership is open to people who don’t hold formal engineering qualifications but have an active interest in the profession of engineering. Although you may not be eligible for other types of membership, your skills or industry experience gives you the opportunity to join Engineers Australia.
You can join Engineers Australia as an Affiliate member if you:
- have a qualification and have achieved a level of industry experience
- are a member of a technical society
- have achieved a level of experience in a field related to engineering.
You can join Engineers Australia as a Companion member if you have reached a level of attainment in a field related to engineering that’s equivalent to Fellow membership.
How to apply
To apply for Affiliate or Companion membership, you’ll need to create an account in our member portal. You’ll also need the following documents:
- primary piece of identification, such as a passport photo page, current driver licence or copy of your birth certificate
- qualification certificate or academic transcript or previous assessment letter from us (optional)
- current CV or resume.
If you’re applying for Companion membership, you’ll also need to provide the following additional documents:
- support from at least two current Engineers Australia Fellow members or
- if you live remotely or overseas, a statutory declaration explaining why you have been unable to obtain Fellow support and
- a statement of support from a Fellow member of a reciprocal engineering body with which we have a mutual recognition agreement.
Affiliate membership applications take about three business days to process. Companion membership applications are considered by the National Membership Committee which is comprised of engineering peers and volunteers. The committee meets around twice a month to review and approve applications. You’ll receive an email when your application has been processed.
When you receive the acceptance email, you’ll need to login to your account on the member portal and pay the fee. Your membership won’t start until you pay the fee.
Your acceptance as a Companion or Affiliate member gives you the opportunity to take your career to the next level with prestigious post-nominals that add to your credibility as an engineer. Depending on your occupational category, you’ll gain one of the following post-nominals:
If you have any questions about membership, please contact us.