The Australian Capital Territory government has launched a public consultation for their proposed Professional Engineer Registration Scheme. The consultation period will run until 20 September 2022.
The government is seeking feedback on all key elements of the proposed scheme.
Engineers Australia will prepare a written submission, which will include direct input from our members. We will also be providing feedback through direct consultation with the ACT government in the next phase of implementation.
What is being proposed?
Key takeaways from the ACT Government’s Consultation Paper – Registration Scheme for Professional Engineers:
- Registration covers those people delivering professional engineering services in civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and fire safety engineering in all sectors, not just the building industry
- Eligibility requirements for registration could be a four year BEng degree or equivalent (experiential learning may be allowed as an equivalence to some extent), five years of relevant experience in the past 10 years, or eight demonstrated Stage 2 competency elements (not five elements like NER and Victorian registration)
- Registration will be for three years, renewal requires proof of CPD but not reassessment of qualifications, experience and competencies
- No Professional Indemnity Insurance requirement for registration (but a Code of Conduct obligation to take all reasonable steps to procure and maintain PI Insurance)
- Registration scheme to commence not before 1 July 2023, with phased introduction for the proposed areas of engineering
Have your say
Engineers Australia is seeking members’ feedback to inform our consultation with the ACT government.
Your views will help to guide Engineers Australia’s response and ensure that Canberra’s engineers and the broader community are appropriately served by this new legislation.
You can provide your feedback in a few ways;
- Attend our virtual roundtable ‘ACT Professional Engineer Registration Scheme member consultation’, 1.00-2.30 pm AEST Monday 12 September via Microsoft Teams
- Provide written feedback to Engineers Australia for inclusion in our consultation, emailed to [email protected]
- Provide feedback directly to the ACT Government on their engineering registration page