The engineering profession in NSW has seen major change in the building and construction industry since 2019. This includes changes to the Residential Apartment Building Act, the Design and Building Practitioners Act and others.
The NSW government is now proposing wide-ranging reforms that will ensure people can own, occupy and use compliant, safe and resilient buildings.
What Engineers Australia is doing
Engineers Australia is ensuring the voice of the engineering profession is being heard in this important area. As part of work we're currently undertaking, we're sending a comprehensive submission to the NSW government's proposed building reforms. We're also seeking our members feedback on the proposed reforms.
The NSW government's set of proposals focus on:
- making home building fairer and easier
- supplying and using safer building products
- regulating prefabricated and manufactured homes
- strengthening building compliance and enforcement
- licensing commercial and home building work
- upskilling the building and construction industry
- securing prompt and fair payment for building work.
This is a substantial piece of work that will likely have far reaching effects on Engineers Australia’s members working in the building space.
Have your say
Below are the NSW government's reform Bills which have been released for review.
We invite our members to submit written comments using the feedback forms provided. There are highlighted questions within these forms that are of particular interest to Engineers Australia, although we are keen to hear your thoughts on all relevant sections.
Please provide your feedback to [email protected] by 5.30pm AEDT on Friday 4 November.
Your responses will help inform Engineers Australia's submission to the NSW Government.
Contact us if you have any questions.
- Building and Construction Legislation Amendment Bill 2022 (PDF)
- Building and Construction Legislation Amendment Regulation 2022 (PDF)
- Regulatory Impact Statement Building and Construction Legislation Amendment Bill 2022 (PDF)
Engineers Australia building and construction amendment feedback form (DOC)
- Draft Building Bill 2022 (PDF)
- Draft Supervision Practice Standards for the electrical industry (PDF)
- Regulatory Impact Statement, Building Bill 2022, Part 1 – who can do the work (PDF)
- Regulatory Impact Statement, Building Bill 2022, Part 2 – what work can be regulated (PDF)
- Regulatory Impact Statement, Building Bill 2022, Part 3 – Building compliant homes (PDF)
Engineers Australia building bill feedback form (DOC)