The South Australian Engineering Excellence Awards publication highlights all of the finalists, Commendations, Engineering Excellence and Individual Awards, as well as the Malcolm Kinnaird Engineering Excellence Award recipient.
Buildings and Structures
- Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer (FCIC), Flinders Medical Centre - Aurecon Australia Pty Ltd
- Hardened and Networked Army Project - Head Contracts 1 & 2 - Baulderstone Pty Ltd
- Munno Para Railway Station Upgrade - Tonkin Consulting with Bardavcol
- Adelaide Botanic Gardens: First Creek Wetlands and Stormwater Harvesting Scheme - Sinclair Knight Merz
- City of Onkaparinga Alternative Water Options Study - City of Onkaparinga
Innovation / Research and Development
- Australian Alternative Covers Assessment Program (A-ACAP) - The University of Melbourne and The University of Adelaide
- Automated Road Condition Signs in the Northern and Western Region - Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI)
- Medical Device Partnering Program - Flinders University, The University of Adelaide, University of South Australia, NovitaTech and Innovate SA
- Transfer Pipeline System Project - SA Water, McConnel Dowell, Built Environs and Arup
- Prospect Road - The Village Heart - Tonkin Consulting with City of Prospect
- Rail Car Depot Relocation - Baulderstone Pty Ltd
- Detailed Design of Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach Stations - Sinclair Knight Merz
- Yamba Integrated Project: Heavy Vehicle Rest Area, Weigh Station and Quarantine Inspection - Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) and Greenhill Engineers
- Adelaide Metropolitan Rail Upgrade: Gawler Passenger Line Stage 4 - Tracksure (A joint venture between John Holland, Coleman Rail and York Civil)
- Bird in Hand: Wastewater Treatment Plant - Leed Engineering and Construction Pty Ltd, SA Water, Guidera O'Connor and Parsons Brinckerhoff
- The Upgrade of the Gawler and Elizabeth South Railway Stations - Baulderstone Pty Ltd
Small Business Ventures and Projects
- Transportation Cradle for the Clipper Ship 'City of Adelaide' - Clipper Ship City of Adelaide Ltd
- Temporary Ship Section Blast and Paint Facility - Applied Innovative Solutions Pty Ltd
Reports, Procedures and Systems
- Guidelines for the Assessment, Design, Construction and Maintenance of Phytocaps as Final Covers for Landfills - Tonkin Consulting with PhytoLink
Innovation / Research and Development
- Hub Central Air Conditioning – O’Connors, The University of Adelaide, Kellogg Brown and Root Pty Ltd, Baulderstone Pty Ltd and Seeley International
Products and Manufacturing Facilities
- Waratah Training Simulators – Sydac Pty Ltd
- CTX 3030 Metal Detector – Minelab Electronics
- AWD Block Movement Project – ASC Pty Ltd
- Michael Herbert Bridge – GHD Pty Ltd, Fulton Hogan and City of Holdfast Bay
Engineering Excellence Awards
The Engineering Excellence Award for Innovation Research and Development was presented to the Australian Submarine Corporation(ASC) for the Submarine Structural Life Validation Project. The project addresses the life-fatigue and fracture analysis of Collins Class Submarines allowing for a safer submarine to be delivered back into the water on time, maximising time at sea, as well as the life of the submarine itself.
The Adelaide Central Reinforcement – Powering South Australia project was awarded the Engineering Excellence Award for Project Infrastructure. The project, a joint venture by ElectraNet and Parsons Brinckerhoff provides analternative energy supply to Adelaide’s CBD and surrounding suburbs, as required by the Australian Energy Regulator. The $190 million project comprised of an 18.5 km 275 KV underground cable from Torrens Island power station to Adelaide’s CBD, as well as a new city west substation at Keswick.
The Adelaide Film and Screen Centre Studio, by AECOM Australia was awarded the Engineering Excellence Award for Buildings and Structures. AECOM’s acoustics team worked in collaboration with the Film Corporation to identify the requirements around acoustically sensitive spaces to meet Dolby Premier Mixing Studio certification, (a measure of technical excellence at every level of a studio’s operation). The premises incorporates two soundstages; the Dolby Premier Studio, various post-production areas including edit rooms, an additional dialogue recording room (ADR) and Foley sound effects room, as well as a 96-seat screening theatre.
Malcolm Kinnaird Engineering Excellence Award
The Six Degree of Freedom Hexapod Robot for Biomechanical Research won the Malcolm Kinnaird Engineering Excellence Award; the highest engineering excellence award conferred at the South Australian Engineering Excellence Awards. The project, a joint venture by the Flinders University and the University of Adelaide has revolutionised joint simulation in humans and the way biomedical engineers understand joint motion, elasticity and plasticity to advance medical treatments. Traditionally biomechanics research has only applied loads in one or two directions; however this new technology simulates actual joint motion more accurately which is essential for the development of more robust artificial joints and replacing damaged or diseased tissues.
Petroleum engineer, Tom Gouldie, was awarded the South Australian Professional Engineer of the Year. Tom is a long term professional petroleum engineer with practical experience in most facets of drilling, evaluation, producing and operating oil, gas and geothermal fields. In the last 25 years he has focused on health and safety management relating to work on drilling, fracture stimulation, completion and workover of oil, gas and coal seam gas wells. He currently works as an Operations Integrity Engineer at Santos Ltd.
The South Australian Young Professional Engineer of the Yearwas awarded to Dr Cristian Birzer,a Mechanical Engineer with a PhD from the University of Adelaide. Cris works at the University of Adelaide in the School of Mechanical Engineering and the Centre for Energy Technology as a Senior Research Associate. As the Outreach Coordinator for the School of Mechanical Engineering, he is tasked with encouraging secondary school students to enrol in mechanical engineering at the University of Adelaide.
The South Australian Engineering Associate of the Yearwas presented to Andrew Morrison. Andrewhas been a valued member of the Tonkin Consulting team for over 20 years and part of a number of high profile South Australian projects where his engineering skills have been highly valued. Andrew was the lead designer on the Port River Expressway Stage 1, the South Road Superway Early Works package and the Robe Terrace upgrade. Andrew has complete respect from his peers and his reports. He has demonstrated consistent leadership in the business through involvement in management activities and ensuring that the design and drafting team continues to operate as a team, looking out for each other and supporting each other to achieve outstanding results.