Become Chartered - The Six Step Process
Pathways to Chartered
Find out more about our pathways to Chartered - which ones are you eligible for?
Are you ready for Chartered?
✓ Current Member of Engineers Australia at the grade of Full Member (MIEAust, TMIEAust or AMIEAust)? If not - Join or Upgrade here.
✓ Chosen the correct pathway? Check out whether you may be eligible for an alternate pathway or whether you follow the Standard Member Pathway 6 step process.
✓ Have a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Log ready and up to date?
✓ Clear on your Areas of Practice you are seeking for Chartered?
If you are interested in pursuing Chartered, but not yet ready, please complete the Self Assessment and start your Industry Review - these are useful tools for your development as you ready yourself for Chartered. You should also be recording your CPD Activities and starting to gather a portfolio of Evidence.
Are you switching from the eChartered to Chartered 2017+ application process?
Find out more about how to use your eChartered Engineering Competency Claims (ECCs) as evidence in your Chartered 2017+ application here.
Already Chartered? Want to add another Area of Practice?
Fee: $550 inc GST
You will need to provide Engineers Australia with details of your engineering experience and competency in the new Area(s) of Practice you would like to seek to add to your Chartered record.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to advise that you wish to add an Area or Areas of Practice.
- Engineers Australia will provide access to the Add Area of Practice pathway within the Chartered 2017+ online application system.
- On receipt of the Alternate Pathway approved notification, follow the prompts to enrol, providing your CV and CPD Log & payment. Please note your CPD Log should show a minimum of 50 hours of CPD (out of the full 150 hours over the past 3 years requirement) in the new Area or Areas of Practice being sought.
- Wait for Engineers Australia to advise you what additional evidence is required to show your competence (in most cases it will be a 2-3 page narrative of your engineering experience in the new areas being sought). Upload into Chartered 2017+ as per system instructions.
- Unless contacted by our Assessors for any further information, you will receive notification of your Chartered Award in the new Area or Areas of Practice & an official Certificate will be posted to you.
If you previously held Chartered Status and wish to reinstate, please follow the reinstatement process outlined here.
Changing Occupational Category?
Chartered is awarded across the three occupational categories of Associate, Technologist and Professional Engineer. Often members who are Associates and Technologists will undertake work experience and study to change to the next category.
If you hold Chartered Status in one category, this will be removed if your occupational category changes and you will need to complete a new Chartered application for your new occupational category. This is also the case if you have started an application in one category and mid-application, change your category. Please contact the Member Services team for advice if you are in this situation.