Mutual recognition agreements

Learn how mutual recognition agreements work.

Engineers Australia has established mutual recognition agreements (MRA) with engineering bodies around the world. If you’re a member of a reciprocal organisation, the MRA allows you to join Engineers Australia at an equivalent level of membership. You can also apply for the Chartered credential through this arrangement and in some cases join the National Engineering Register.

Under the MRA, formal academic qualifications must be recognised by both bodies under the Washington, Sydney or Dublin Accords. If your academic qualification isn’t accepted under one of the accords, you might need to complete a competency assessment.

MRA with the Institution of Civil Engineers

The MRA pathway for reciprocal membership between Engineers Australia and the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) UK lapsed from 30 May 2023.

We have agreed to move the MRA to the international recognition pathway under the International Professional Engineers Agreement to strengthen such international pathways. The change was endorsed by Engineers Australia Professional Standards Committee and we are planning discussions with other international professional bodies.

The pathway will be open to those registered on the International Professional Engineer Register (IntPE(UK)). Check your eligibility on the Engineering Council UK website.

Reciprocal organisations

Engineers Australia has MRAs or agreements in place in the following countries.

Commission des Titres d’lngenieur (CTI)

This is not a full MRA. It applies only to engineers with the eligible French qualification wishing to apply to Engineers Australia.

The eligible qualification is a Diplome d’lngenieur (equivalent to the Australian certification framework level AQF 9: Masters Degree) delivered by an accredited French institution listed the annual inter-ministerial decree (“arrete”) at the time of graduation, and delivered after 15 January 1970.

Colegio de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos (CICCP)

This is not a full MRA. It covers:

  • members of Engineers Australia who hold a relevant engineering qualification in Civil Engineering
  • members who have attained the professional titles of Chartered Professional Engineer, granted by Engineers Australia
  • members who are registered on the National Engineering Register administered by Engineers Australia (in the Civil Engineering Area of Practice only)
  • members of CICCP who hold a relevant engineering qualification (Civil Engineer (Master of Engineering)) and have attained the professional title of lngeniero de Caminos, Canales y Puertas (ICCP). 

Find out more about the eligibility criteria for CICCP members applying for Engineers Australia membership.

How to apply

If your organisation is listed and your qualification is recognised by Engineers Australia, create an account and apply via the member portal.

You’ll need copies of the following documents to upload with your application:

  • primary piece of identification, such as a passport photo page, current driver licence or copy of your birth certificate
  • degree certificate (testamur) or previous assessment letter from us
  • academic transcript
  • current CV or resume
  • membership number with the reciprocal organisation
  • proof of Chartered status or registration with the reciprocal organisation
  • evidence that you’re in good financial standing with the reciprocal organisation.

If you’re applying for Chartered or Registered credentials, you’ll also need to provide evidence of a minimum 150 hours of CPD over the previous three years.

Application outcome

Your application will take about four weeks to process to allow for a response from the overseas engineering body. You’ll receive an email when your application has been processed.

When you receive the acceptance email, you’ll need to login to your account on the member portal and pay the fee. Your membership won’t start until you pay the fee.

Learn more about becoming a member and membership fees. 

If you have any questions about membership through MRA, please contact us.