There are many benefits that come with Engineers Australia membership.
The level of Member is the median point of membership for fully qualified engineering professionals. You can join Engineers Australia as a Member if you:
- have an accredited or recognised Australian tertiary qualification in engineering and
- have at least three years of postgraduate experience in the engineering industry and
- are practising in any one of the three engineering-specific occupational categories of professional engineer, engineering technologist or engineering associate.
If you don’t meet all the requirements listed, you’ll need to complete a competency assessment before we can approve your application.
How to apply
To apply, you’ll need to create an account in our member portal. You’ll also need the following documents:
- primary piece of identification, such as a passport photo page, current driver licence or copy of your birth certificate
- degree certificate (testamur) or previous assessment letter from us
- academic transcript
- current CV or resume.
If you’re a member of an overseas reciprocal organisation, you can apply through the mutual recognition agreement process.
When a competency assessment is needed
The competency assessment, sometimes called an entry to practice assessment, is needed if you have:
- Australian engineering qualifications that aren’t accredited or approved by Engineers Australia
- engineering qualifications from overseas which aren’t recognised by Engineers Australia or
- qualifications in fields related to engineering which aren’t recognised by Engineers Australia but you have post-graduate engineering qualifications and substantial engineering experience.
If you need to do competency assessment you won’t be able to apply for membership until you’ve completed the assessment and received the results. The assessment takes about four weeks but may be longer. Please wait to be contacted by us.
If you don’t need a competency assessment, membership applications take about three business days to process. You’ll receive an email when your application has been processed.
When you receive the acceptance email, you’ll need to login to your account on the member portal and pay the fee. Your membership won’t start until you pay the fee.
Your acceptance as a member gives you the opportunity to take your career to the next level with prestigious post-nominals that add to your credibility as an engineering professional. Depending on your occupational category, you’ll gain one of the following post-nominals:
- Associate Member (AMIEAust)
- Technologist Member (TMIEAust) or
- Member (MIEAust).
Application fees vary depending on whether you need a competency assessment.
Use the fee calculator to estimate your fee or view our annual membership fees.
Grade of membership you wish to apply for
Are you eligible for a membership concession rate?
Month of application
Are you living in Australia?