Managing your membership

Information to help you keep your status current.

Reinstating Membership


Reinstating your membership

Has your membership lapsed and you want to re-apply?

Reapply online via myPortal 

Readmission requires a readmission fee, plus the yearly pro-rata membership fee.

Re-admission to Chartered status

Do you want to be re-admitted to Chartered status? The process will depend on how long ago your Chartered status lapsed:

Less than 12 months
Former Chartered members whose Engineers Australia Chartered status has lapsed for less than 12 months will be readmitted to Chartered status upon completion of an online application.

If you previously had an outstanding or unsatisfactory CPD and Practice Review, you will need to provide a brief statement of experience and a CPD record as part of the application. Please contact the Registration Team if you require assistance.

Greater than 12 months but less than five years
You will need to provide a brief statement of experience and a CPD record as part of the application. Please contact the Registration Team if you require assistance.

Greater than five years
Former Chartered members whose Chartered status has lapsed for more than five years will be required to complete an online application and provide supporting documents including a statement of experience of minimum 2400 words claiming 16 Elements of Competence of Stage 2 Competency Standards, a full CV and a CPD record.

Transfer or upgrade your membership

An application must be submitted online through MyPortal.


When should I upgrade?

When should I transfer?

Full details on how to transfer from one occupational category to another can be found in the Engineers Australia Articulation Guide.

For further assistance about upgrades and transfers, contact Member Services or call 1300 653 113.

Change or add College membership

  • If you are a Student or Graduate member:
    You can request for a change of College by sending us an email with a brief explanation as to the reason for your request.
  • If you are at the grade of Member or Fellow but not Chartered:
    Please send a copy of your CV to Member Services requesting a change of College. Your CV should clearly indicate that you are practising in the engineering area which belongs to the requested College.

Request a membership card

In an effort to become more environmentally friendly, we are asking members to consider a plastic membership card.

If you wish to receive a membership card, you can order it via myPortal once you have received notification of a successful membership payment.

To order, log in to myPortal, select your EA Membership tab and click the Request Membership Card button.

Student membership notes

Expected study completion date
It is important that you advise us of your new expected study completion date if it has changed, otherwise your student membership may lapse . If you need to update your expected study completion date, please log into myPortal and update your expected Graduation date in the EA Membership tab.

Update your address and contact details
If you move, please advise us so that we can update your details. This way you can continue to receive all the membership benefits and important communication from Engineers Australia without interruption. Please log into myPortal and update your details in the My Contact Details tab.

Advise us of your non university email address
Please advise Engineers Australia of your non university email address. This will ensure that you receive important notices electronically even after you graduate, and when you travel.

I have completed my studies, why am I still recorded as a Student?

Student members who wish to upgrade to Graduate Membership must submit an online application.  Engineers Australia must confirm that you have successfully completed an accredited undergraduate course.

When you join as a student member, Engineers Australia uses your expected graduation date to determine when you are eligible to apply for Graduate membership. It is important that you notify Member Services if your expected graduation date changes. You can also update your expected Graduation date in the EA Membership tab in your myPortal account.

Once you have completed your studies, you will need to upgrade your membership to remain a member with Engineers Australia.


Making Payment

What Payment Methods do you accept?

  • Online

We encourage you to log in to myPortal and pay online. See below for additional ways to pay.

  • Direct Debit

You can pay your membership fees monthly from a nominated bank or credit card account.  Monthly debits are made to your nominated bank account or credit card account within the first three business days of the month. The amount debited to your account will be equally divided over the remaining months of the financial year of the total of your annual renewal invoice.

Simply log into myPortal to set up your direct debit.

  • Phone

Credit card payments are accepted between 8.30 am and 6.00 pm AEST by calling 1300 653 113.

  • BPay

B-Pay details are located on the front of your invoice. 

  • EA Biller Code: 242073

The reference number is your Engineers Australia invoice number which is located in the top right hand corner of your invoice.

Please do not use B-Pay if amendments to your invoice are required.

  • Cheque / money order

Payments can be made by cheque or money order by completing the payment slip on your invoice and returning to:

Engineers Australia
Locked Bag 24
Kingston ACT 2604

When paying by cheque, please write your membership number on the reverse of the cheque and make it payable to Engineers Australia. All cheque payments must be in AUD drawn on an Australian bank.


How do I make amendments to my invoice?

Please contact Member Services for advice on how to make amendments to your invoice.  During the membership renewal period in May, you may be able to make certain changes to your Engineers Australia renewals invoice yourself via myPortal including removing Tech Society membership(s) and NER registration fees, however if you would like to join a Technical Society or become registered on the NER you will need to click on the following links:

How do I request a receipt?

Receipts are automatically emailed to the Bill To email address associated with your account. You can also request a copy of your receipt, or CC a copy to a different email address by logging into your myPortal and accessing your Financials tab.

Alternatively, please contact Member Services for assistance.

Can I have my subscription notice invoiced to my employer or company?

The subscription notice will typically be invoiced to the member; however, arrangements can be made to have the subscription notice issued to C/O (Care of) the employer or company. Please contact Member Services for assistance.

Can I arrange an Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)?

No. Engineers Australia does not accept direct deposits or EFTS; however, you can pay your bill monthly by direct debit.


Concessions and discounts

The concession rate is available to an Engineers Australia member in any grade or occupational category who:

  • is over 55, has been a financial member continuously for five years, and has retired from paid, full-time work; or
  • is unable to work by reason of unemployment, disability, ill health, pregnancy, parental obligation, participation in full-time postgraduate study directly related to their engineering competencies, temporary severe financial difficulty or another sufficient cause.

Retired members paying the concession rate are eligible for the discount for membership of one Technical Society, but not for any other discount. Please note that concessions cannot be granted retrospectively and that concessions for Temporary Financial Exigency reasons can generally only be granted for a maximum of three consecutive years.

IPWEA membership discount
Members of Engineers Australia (excluding free students) who are also a member of the Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia (IPWEA) are entitled to a single discount of $16.50 (includes GST) off their Engineers Australia membership fee*.

Technical Society discount
Members of Engineers Australia (excluding free students) who join one or more Technical Societies are entitled to a single discount of $16.50 (includes GST) off their Engineers Australia membership fee*^.

* The $16.50 discount is applied to a member’s standard membership renewal fee. For example, a Chartered member at the grade of Engineering Associate would normally pay $294.00, however with the discount applied would only be required to pay $277.50.
^ The discount is not applicable for Royal Aeronautical Society Australian Division (RaeS). For further information regarding these this Technical Society, please contact them directly.


Each Engineers Australia member is entitled to receive one discount only (Technical Society or IPWEA membership), calculated as the highest-value discount for which the member is eligible.

The Technical Society discount does not apply when the Technical Society membership fee is equal to or less than the discount amount.

For more information, contact Member Services or call 1300 653 113.

Resigning your membership

Members wishing to resign their membership can do so via myPortal by completing a resignation application. You may be asked to partake in an exit survey as part of the resignation process. This survey provides important feedback and insights regarding your experiences with Engineers Australia.

Need further assistance?

Please contact our Member Services Team by email or call 1300 653 113 between 8.30am and 6.00pm (AEST) Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Overseas members can call +61 2 6270 6557