The Society of Fire Safety (SFS) exists to foster excellence in fire safety in Australia. As a learned society we provide leadership in the understanding, development, practice and application of fire safety engineering.
- develop and extend the science and technology of fire safety engineering
- promote excellence in the practice of fire safety engineering
- promote the use of fire safety engineering in the built environment
- promote education, training, and research in all aspects of fire safety engineering
- maintain and improve professional and educational standards for fire safety practitioners
- influence community, corporate and regulatory attitudes and practices in relation to fire safety
- collaborate with and communicate knowledge about fire safety engineering with members, organisations and other societies
- provide expert advice for government, industry and the community.
We engage with our members, organisations and other societies through technical meetings, courses and special events such as conferences and seminars. We also produce and publish members’ learned papers and write and circulate a national newsletter.
The SFS also acts as a specialist resource for research working groups and in the preparation of codes and standards.
Current national executive members are:
- Sarnia Rusbridge FIEAust CPEng NER – Chair
- Kjetil Pedersen MIEAust – Deputy Chair
- Dr Jonathan Barnett FIEAust CPEng NER – immediate past Chair
- Jack Partridge MIEAust CPEng NER – Treasurer
- Blair Stratton FIEAust CPEng NER – Seminar Coordinator
- Alan Wilson MIEAust CPEng NER
- Stephen Burton FIEAust CPEng NER
- Kate Nguyen MIEAust CPEng NER
- Tim Shiu MIEAust CPEng NER
- Pelle Zetterstrom MIEAust CPEng NER
- Siggy Ingolfsson
The SFS Hall of Fame honours individuals who have made outstanding and lasting contributions to the theory or practice of fire safety engineering.
Current members of the SFS Hall of Fame are:
Inducted in 2014
Dr Ian Thomas
Mr Peter Johnson
Dr Ian Bennetts
Inducted in 2011
Professor Vaghan Beck
Dr Martin Cole
Mr Claude Eaton (late)
Dr Caird Ramsay
To learn more about the SFS Hall of Fame or to nominate someone, please email us for information.
SFS membership is open to any fire safety practitioner who’s actively engaged in fire safety. You don’t need to be an engineer or a member of Engineers Australia to join.
To join SFS login or create an account in the EA member portal. Once you’re logged in, click on the products and services tab then click Join on the Technical Society Membership tile and follow the prompts to apply.
Engage with us
Join EA Exchange to view all SFS resources including presentations, publications and fire safety practice guides. You can also network with other technical society members on this interactive forum.
If you’re on LinkedIn you can also join the SFS LinkedIn Group.
Society of Fire Safety Constitution
The Society of Fire Safety fosters excellence in fire safety in Australia. It draws together individuals actively engaged in fire safety to provide a national focus and leadership for the development, understanding, practice and application of fire safety engineering.