Thank you for being part of our community.
This is a great place to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, share your expertise and participate in ongoing conversations.
To ensure the best possible experience and create a civil and productive space, we have established some basic rules. We reserve the right to suspend or terminate community membership if you violate these rules, and to remove inappropriate or inflammatory material posted.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules.
Questions should be directed to [email protected]
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Keep it clean, keep it friendly. Every post should make a positive contribution. The community is open to all points of view on the intended topics; mature, polite debate is encouraged. Attacks or cyber-bullying will not be tolerated. The community is meant to stimulate conversation and trigger the exchange of information (technical, career-related) not to create contention. Contradictory opinions are welcomed, but should always be thought and respectful, rather than emotional, impulsive or anger-driven.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals, not to promote products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way rather than soliciting or advertising products or services.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to defamation and competition laws.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate community. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response.
Discussion group etiquette
- State the topic of your comments clearly and concisely in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
Violations of the EA Xchange terms and conditions
Engineers Australia reserves the right to take immediate action on any post that we feel violates the rules outlined above. This action includes, but is not limited to, issue warnings, removing content and removing access to the platform.
EA Xchange reserves the right to remove any content we deem inappropriate for use in the community, and/or revoke any member’s access to the community at any time and for any reason. However, because situations and interpretations vary, we also reserve the right to take no action. These terms can be modified at any time, and your continued use of the community signifies your assent to such modified terms.
If you are a victim of, or witness to inappropriate content in any of the EA Xchange online communities’ discussion threads, resource libraries, or member profiles, please notify Engineers Australia immediately by email [email protected]
The legal stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the community of the Institution of Engineers, Australia, trading as Engineers Australia (“Engineers Australia”).
Engineers Australia is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. Engineers Australia does not agree with or endorse and is not responsible for, any information posted on this site, by any person. In no event shall Engineers Australia be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, or from defamation or infringement of intellectual property arising out of or in connection with, the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants Engineers Australia and users of this site the nonexclusive right and licence to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
No solicitations or advertisements are permitted on the site. This includes promotion or endorsement of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency.
Engineers Australia is not required to actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. Anything posted on the site does not represent the views of Engineers Australia and is not endorsed by it.
We reserve the right to suspend or terminate community membership if you violate these rules, and to remove inappropriate or inflammatory material posted.
It may be necessary to send or store your personal data overseas, in order for Engineers Australia to receive necessary services from its services providers, some of which are based outside of Australia. For example, Higher Logic LLC (which is based in the US) provides the community platform on a Software as a Service (SaaS) basis and is required to retain personal user data to deliver this service.
You consent to your personal data being disclosed to services providers of Engineers Australia who are located overseas and to Australian Privacy Principle 8.1 not being applicable. (Australian Privacy Principle 8.1 requires an entity to take reasonable steps to ensure an overseas recipient does not breach Australian Privacy Principles. Note that Higher Logic LLC has agreed to comply with the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)).
Remember the risks whenever you use the internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us via [email protected]
Last updated: 18 October 2022